No Products in the Cart
Essence of Health offers Acupuncture, Naturopathy and Nutritional Medicine to pregnant women to give them the highest level of personalised care. We also suggest looking at lifestyle, diet and supplementation as part of an ongoing service to ensure optimal health and nutrition in the lead up to and during your pregnancy.
Our Practitioners have a particular interest in supporting patients throughout their entire pregnancy and may be able to help pregnant women with pregnancy related:
- Musculoskeletal pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Digestive support
- Headaches and migraines
- Stress and anxiety related symptoms
- Preparation for natural labour
Our Massage Therapist will tailor each pregnancy massage specifically to the needs of pregnant women and their changing bodies.
There are many potential benefits of massage at any stage of pregnancy including:
- Reduced pain, tension and distress in the lower back, neck, legs and sciatic region.
- Reduced fluid retention ‘odema’
- Help to relieve tension headaches, caused by neck and shoulder stiffness
- Improved circulation, by stimulating blood flow
- Increased energy and a reduced sense of fatigue
- A deep relaxation which can work well in conjunction with mums wanting to use hypnobirthing
- Relief of the everyday discomforts of pregnancy such as back pain, joint pain, neck pain, headaches, pelvic pain, and leg cramps
- Reduction of excess fluid which generally manifests as swelling in the hands and ankles
- Reduced sciatica pain
- Improved sleep from being more relaxed, reduced muscle tension and feeling less uncomfortable
- A greater sense of relaxation which may lead to the improvement in the progression of labour
- Labour preparation - Natural Labour induction from 37 weeks
Preparation treatments are commenced from 34-35 weeks and are aimed at helping with relaxing any tension and improving joint mobility. This may provide the opportunity for the baby to move into the correct position and preparing the physical body for the induction process. An important focus of acupuncture is not only to prepare the body physically but to also support the nervous system ensures that mentally and emotionally the body has the potential of remaining relaxed and calm throughout the birthing process.
Acupuncture induction treatments can commence from 37 weeks. We recommend one treatment per week from 34 weeks, increasing to two treatments per week at around 40 weeks. During your treatment, your acupuncturist will discuss a number of details with you, including how your pregnancy has gone so far, the position and engagement of the baby and any other concerns or worries you may be experiencing. Your midwife/ obstetrician will need to approve the commencement of acupuncture induction from 37 weeks.
Breastfeeding can often be challenging whether it's your first or fourth baby, acupuncture is very helpful in supporting mothers on their breastfeeding journey. Stress can often cause issue with supply, which in turn can cause more stress. Acupuncture may be beneficial in helping insufficient lactation, mastitis and blocked ducts by reducing stress and improving circulation.
Acupuncture may also help by improving sleep quality, reducing muscle stiffness and pain, addressing postpartum allergies and supporting general wellbeing.