Pregnancy Massage & Acupuncture for Labour Preparation and Induction
Pregnancy massage is tailored specifically to the needs of pregnant women and their changing bodies. Pregnancy massage can assist in the preparation of labour by releasing any muscular tension and treating any joint and ligament pain, so that there is increased mobility. It can also assist with improving posture and help the changing alignment of your body
Acupuncture and Massage can also assist in the induction process by stimulating acupuncture ‘trigger points’, which are normally avoided before 37 weeks.
Labour preparation treatments can help to relax the mind and body, by easing tension and helping to create a clear and grounded space, which in turn leaves a women feeling more emotionally balanced for the labour.
Natural labour Preparation
Acupuncture and Massage can be very effective in helping a woman relax and encourage the natural onset of labour.
Pregnancy Massage is safe to start at any time as the massage is adjusted based on your needs and what stage of the pregnancy you are at. Preparation treatments are commenced from 34-35 weeks and are aimed at helping with relaxing any tension and improving joint mobility. This along with acupuncture can help facilitate the baby to move into the correct position and preparing the physical body for the induction process. An important focus of Acupuncture & Massage is not only to prepare the body physically but to help ensure that mentally and emotionally the body remains relaxed and calm throughout the birthing process.
Aside from focusing on the Labour preparation, there are many other benefits that massage can provide at any stage of pregnancy and include:
Natural Labour Induction
- Improving sleep quality, by increasing serotonin and melatonin, which control natural sleep rhythms
- Reduce pain, tension and distress in the lower back, neck, legs and sciatic region.
- Reduce fluid retention ‘odema’
- Help relieve tension headaches, caused by neck and shoulder stiffness
- Improve circulation, by stimulating
- Increases energy and a reduced sense of fatigue
- Brings about a deep relaxation, and can work well in conjunction with mums wanting to use hypnobirthing
- Can relieve nausea and heartburn
- Relieves the everyday discomforts of pregnancy such as back pain, joint pain, neck pain, headaches, pelvic pain, and leg cramps, by targeting specific trigger points and muscle tension
- Reduces excess fluid retention which generally manifests as swelling in the hands and ankles
- Reduces sciatica pain
- Improves circulation
- Improved sleep from being more relaxed, reduced muscle tension and feeling less uncomfortable
- Creates a wonderful connection between the mother and baby.
- A greater sense of relaxation which leads to the improvement in the progression of labour with better health outcomes for both mother and baby
Acupuncture & Massage treatments proceeding the preparation phase change slightly and are aimed at working in harmony with your body to help with stimulating points that can help the natural progression of labour. These points can assist in stimulating the hormones, increasing overall circulation and in turn blood flow to help the cervix soften and help stimulate the changes needed for the body to progress into natural labour. The more relaxed the mind and physical body the greater chance there is of the body naturally transitioning into labour.
Acupuncture & Massage is still recommended for women choosing or for medical reasons needing a Caesarean section. Recovery is an important part of any medical procedure and in most situations a person gets much needed rest to recover, but not for caesareans, because your needed to care for your baby. Acupuncture & Massage is an effective preparation treatment to help speed up the recovery process when used before or after the birth of your child. Massage helps to increase circulation, and therefore oxygen and nutrient uptake to the tissues and muscles, which can speed up healing time.
Post Natal Massage Recovery
Massage is a great treatment to help recover the body, physically, mentally and emotionally and to set you up for a better transition hormonally after having a baby. This can be a stressful time for some woman, and massage facilities the relaxation of the nervous system along with helping increase the production of ‘feel good hormones that can also help with improving sleep, immunity, vitality and reduce any post-natal fluid retention.
Massage is just as important after pregnancy as it is during. It is a great treatment to help support you after the baby as there is an increased demand on your body, through breastfeeding, insomnia, fatigue, hormone health, and the muscular strain of nurturing and holding your beautiful baby can tension and postural issues for the neck, shoulder, hip and back.