Chicken Bone Broth Recipe
Bone broth is a nutritious liquid full of vitamins and minerals that may help with digestion, reduce inflammation and joint pain and lead to better sleep. It may also boost your immune system. Sandra’s go-to bone broth recipe is a great way to add this nutritious food to your diet.
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Massel chicken stock cubes
- 1 onion cut in quarters
- 2 sticks of celery with inner leaves cut in half
- 2 carrots cut in half
- 1 teaspoon of flat leaf parsley
- 1 clove of garlic
- Filtered Water (enough to cover ingredients)
- Optional – ½ a tin of crushed tomatoes (gives a rich, sweet flavour)
- Optional – Extra Himalayan sea salt + pepper to taste
- Place chicken and other ingredients in large pot
- Add enough filtered water to cover ingredients
- Bring to the boil then reduce to a slow simmer for 2 hours. (Make sure to skim the fat off of the surface)
- Remove chicken – shred chicken and keep for later use (can freeze for later, use in risottos, stews, sandwiches…)
- Strain broth to separate the liquid and the vegetables (remember to strain into a container – we don’t want to loose the bone broth into the sink)
- Divide broth into storage containers
- Puree vegetables and save for later use as a nutritional boost in many recipes (can freeze into portions)
What to do with your broth?
Add broth to soups, stews, risottos and mash potato for a nutritional boost. You can even have broth in place of coffee in the morning or as a nightcap before bed.
Feeling a cold or sore throat coming on… heat up a cup of bone broth and add a pinch of turmeric.