Top 10 Tips for Winter
In addition to acupuncture, chiropractic and naturopathic treatments, there are several ways to help you stay healthy through Winter.
- Protect the back of your neck. In TCM, the back of your neck is where pathogens enter the body. Try not to leave your neck exposed to the cold by wearing a scarf or high neck clothing.
- Eat nourishing foods. Think root veggies, bone broths, stews and soups made with seasonal produce.
- Use slower/ longer cooking methods. This helps to create meals that are easier for your body to digest meaning you gain more nourishment from your food.
- Reduce intake of cold foods and drinks especially first thing in the morning. Cold is contracting for the body and can diminish your digestive fire leading to sluggish digestion. This means you will not be able to utilise the good energy in your food.
- Sleep is important to replenish your qi. Aim to go to sleep by 10 pm and wake up between 6 and 7am.
- Try meditation, yoga, tai chi or qi gong. Gentle movement is good for restoring qi, improving muscle tone and benefits mental health while not using excessive amounts of energy.
- Exercise moderately. Exercise is important but overdoing it can deplete the body of qi lowering your immune system and making you more susceptible to illness and fatigue. Make sure you have warmed up before starting anything strenuous.
- Vitamin D is important for immunity. Deficiency can lead to lowered immunity, fatigue, depression, pain and bone loss. The majority is produced in the body in response to sunlight and although it is found in oily fish and fortified dairy, we often don’t eat enough. Consider checking your Vitamin D levels to see if you may need additional support.
- Air your house out regularly. We tend to spend more time indoors in winter. This leads to air in your house becoming stagnant with allergens from pets, dust, and others lingering. It is also suggested that the air quality in our home can be worse than the air quality outside. Opening up your windows allows in fresh air and may even reduce transmission of illnesses from other people in your house.
- If you are feeling unwell, stay home and get better. Keeping on going will only prolong any illness. Your body needs to rest and rejuvenate.
- Healthline. 8 Signs and Symptoms of Vitamin D Deficiency. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-d-deficiency-symptoms#section7
- The Guardian. If you want to fight infection, think about opening a window. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/11/if-you-want-to-fight-infection-think-about-opening-a-window